10 Ways to Battle Acne
There must have been a time in each of our lives when we had to experience breakouts and acne, not to forget the embarrassment and the lack of confidence it brings along. I am sharing 10 ways to battle acne out of my own experience of dealing with it in the past. Also, please remember severe acne needs to be examined by a dermatologist and may need medication.
- Diet – I know this sounds boring and difficult but it is the first step to clearer skin. Start by drinking a lot of water to flush out toxins. Include vegetables like beetroot and carrot, especially raw in your lunch. Have fruits that have high fibre content to avoid bowel issues. Let go of junk food, processed food, aerated drinks and desserts. At least until you are completely healed. Replace chocolate with raw cacao which instead helps boost the body with antioxidants.
- Antioxidants and Omega 3 Fatty acids – include fruits like grapes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and kale etc for antioxidants. For Omega 3 fatty acids have fish, chia seeds, nuts, flaxseed etc.
- Minimal Makeup – avoid makeup completely until the skin starts healing. Keep the skin clean and use a mild face wash and a moisturiser. (Check here. Remember to use sunscreen especially when out in the Sun as it tends to severely affect acne. Using too much makeup will not only clog pores but can also help bacteria breed. Remember to never share makeup brushes or sponges and to wash them regularly.
- Avoid Alcohol-based products & steroid creams – avoid falling prey to harsh alcohol-based face washes as they tend to strip the skin of natural oils. Steroid creams unless recommended by a dermatologist will handle acne for some time but over time it comes with its own problems.
- Haircare – keeping scalp and hair clean is extremely important for keeping skin clear. Dandruff is often a cause of acne.
- Avoid experimenting – stay away from introducing too many products onto your skin. We all get tempted but then the skin takes all the abuse and allergies.
- High Hygiene Standards – for people with acne high hygiene standards are mandatory. Never use a shared towel ( like in hotels or a flight ) or share your own towel. I would say ditch face towels altogether. Replace it with tissue paper as there is no fear of growing bacteria. Also, always sleep on clean natural fabric pillows and replace them regularly.
- Avoid Synthetic Fabrics – wear natural fabrics and fitted clothes and avoid synthetic tight clothes. Sweat accumulating will again lead to bacteria and moreover will not allow the skin to breathe.
- Sleep Well – get at least 8 hours of sound sleep for the mind and body to relax. Stress will cause havoc to the hormonal balance resulting in aggressive breakouts.
- Be Cool – don’t stress over acne too much. Like I said it happens to all of us especially when we are at a point when sebum or oil production is high. Just remember not to touch your face with bare hands and also to never prick at them. Pricking or scratching will leave scars forever, on the face though. 😛
Just enjoy yourselves and put your cool on. 😎