Green Gifts For Her
Swapping to a cleaner lifestyle cannot happen overnight unless you are ready to spend a fortune by replacing everything you have with everything you would want to buy. Forcing others or being too righteous about our choices is not the best example either. However, gifting a loved one with a greener product can help them explore and experience for themselves the benefits of cleaner items over products laden with harsh chemicals as ingredients. For all of us who have taken a pledge to start 2018 clean, here are 5 Green Gifts for Her.
- Candles – Candles are the best way to cosy up a home especially during Winter or create a romantic ambience. I promise it is a favourite with all women but as I have always stressed, it is very important to switch to natural wax and cotton wicks. Paraffin wax and synthetics can be hazardous to health more if you have kids or pets around. If you want to buy luxurious and budget-friendly candles – opt for Indie Eco and if you want to invest in luxurious international brands, you can choose Petricor. (read about how toxic paraffin wax candles can be)
- Chocolate – commercial chocolates available in huge masses are often high in sugar content and most of the time involves no fair trade. For special occasions or on cheat days, you could go for a few pieces of chocolate if it is something you absolutely want to indulge in. Best options? Pick up raw, refined sugar-free, fair trade and handmade chocolates. Something that I tried and absolutely love is Earthloaf (now Naviluna). They are available in many different flavours with absolutely beautiful packaging.
- Eco – Friendly Handbags and Wallets – If you are not already aware, according to ‘The True Cost’, “50 million litres of toxic water are released from leather tanning”. Most of us already own a leather item, so we should either keep it for the longest time possible or recycle it in other ways once we get bored. Today, faux leather has become a popular choice and designers are constantly implementing different fibres to come up with non-leather bags and accessories. I own an Arture Wallet and I’m totally in love with it. It is made up of cork and is water-resistant, fungal-free and is very durable. ( Read about arture)
- Ethical Jewellery– every girl loves jewellery- some may like it intricate and some elaborate. But jewellery that comes with a good cause is always a worthwhile purchase. I got introduced to ethical jewellery through Purpose Jewellery and I adore every single piece I ever bought from them. Purpose Jewelry is an initiative by International Sanctuary that empowers survivors through employment and financial stability. 100% of the proceeds from Purpose jewellery benefit the survivors through I Sanctuary. The purchases made provide employment, job training, and the financial stability to the survivors who are in need to provide for themselves and their families. ( Read the full post on Purpose Jewelry )
- Clean Makeup & Beauty products – People new to green beauty or makeup often underestimate the whole concept. There is a wide variety of makeup and beauty products available worldwide and some even in India. I often speak about how natural, organic and herbal products are not all and differ in their definitions. Although I have no issues with people buying dodgy labelled beauty products without proper certifications, I absolutely love beauty products and would personally never buy something sold as a ‘homemade face pack ‘ (which I can very well prepare myself my kitchen). Nothing wrong with it, but I just love a beautifully packaged high-quality ingredient product for myself. Internationally, if you love makeup try Vapour Beauty and for face and body try Kypris. In India, I absolutely trust brands like the Skin Pantry & Just B Au Naturel.
I hope 2018 is treating you well. If there are specific topics you want me to talk about, please leave your comments. Have a Cleaner 2018!